Monday, May 6, 2013

Technology and Literacy



During our Reading and Literacy course many of us used some sort of technology during our facilitations.  During my facilitation we used the overhead projector as well as my laptop.  With these two machines we were able to show the class vital information for the facilitation.  Reading and literacy go hand in hand with technology.
            In the early childhood spectrum we have all the Leap Frog products.  When a child is first learning to read, Leap Frog tends to be a parents first choice.  I know this from my nieces and nephews.  My siblings chose Leap Frog products to help their children learn the alphabet.  They are still young so they haven’t started using the reading devices.  Leap Frog products help children sound out a word they are unfamiliar with or even read the word they are stuck on.  These devices know which word the child is pointing to on the page.  I find that remarkable.  Being able to decode a text is made a little easier by some of these products.
            As I have sat in some of my math classes I have seen various devices that help students who are visually impaired to read the board.  If these students weren’t able to use these different devices then they may fall behind in the course.  These devices make learning for them that much easier.  Technology can make reading and understanding of a text just a little easier for any student who is having trouble with the material. 



No comments:

Post a Comment