Friday, May 10, 2013

Power Point Presentations




Power Point has been part of my learning for many years.  Many of my teachers and professors have used Power Point presentations to teach a lesson.  This semester in one of my math classes, the professor used power point presentations the whole semester.  My thoughts are that sometimes the teacher needs to used a variety of teaching methods. 
When a teacher uses variety in their teaching strategies, students are more than likely going to learn the material better.  I remember my sophomore history class in high school.  My teacher used so many different strategies that no matter how her students learned they would get it.  We were learning about the age of the factories.  One day in class my teacher had us work in a factory for the day.  We traced pennies for 30 minutes out of the typical 45 minute class period.  We weren’t given breaks or anything.  The lights were turned off.  The teacher wanted us to get the feel of how the work force life was back then.  The conditions were horrible.  That is why rules were made about work force regulations.  Why do I remember that lesson in particular?  It is because it was something that got students thinking and doing something.  She used different methods.  She made sure that students understood the points she was trying to get across.
What I liked most was that there was more than just power point presentations.  Students need variety of teaching techniques in order to really learn the material.  If lessons become static, students may start day dreaming in classrooms.  They can just become unmotivated in a classroom that doesn’t change.  As teachers, we are the ones that will motivate or unmotivated our students in our classrooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment