Monday, May 6, 2013

Khan Academy



I have used Khan Academy on several different occasions for some guided help in some of my math courses.  While in class you may get the concept being taught, but when you get home and start the homework you become utterly confused.  This has happened to me on more than one occasion.  When this happens I usually consult my textbook to see if reading over the material would jog up some memory.  When this doesn’t work I typically see if I can find a lesson online covering the same material.  Khan Academy is one of the first websites that come up in the search. 
            I remember when I was in College Geometry that I was having trouble understanding some of the theorems.  I would go to Khan Academy and watch the lesson they had on the topic I was struggling with.  Khan Academy helped me learn geometry even better.  The narrator talks in a voice that is understandable and clear.  He also goes step by step with a few examples and then starts eliminating steps.  It is a great way to tutor yourself in the subject area that is your downfall.
            When I was tutoring a fourth grade student who was having difficulty in math, I recommended to her mother to look as Khan Academy when I left for my trip to Ireland.  We wouldn’t be able to meet for two weeks so I figured something was better than nothing.  Khan Academy helped her while I was away so that we wouldn’t have to back track and relearn the material.    

No comments:

Post a Comment